Friday, August 29, 2008

Vote now for "Oddest Book Title of the Year"!

You can vote here. I was really torn between the following:
  • "The Theory of Lengthwise Rolling"
    It just doesn't seem like there's much more to it than just, well... rolling. Sometimes I mess up and accidentally roll things widthwise, but usually that's easy to correct.
  • "Oral Sadism and the Vegetarian Personality"
    Just for the unexpected phrase "oral sadism."
  • "How to Avoid Big Ships"
    Is it difficult? They can't sneak up. Deserves a vote for the fact that an entire book was written on the subject. Maybe the obvious strategy ("sail away") doesn't work? My curiosity is piqued.
  • "Highlights in the History of Concrete"
    There are highlights?
  • "Bombproof Your Horse"
    A must-read for all serious horse owners.
  • "People Who Don’t Know They’re Dead: How They Attach Themselves to Unsuspecting Bystanders and What to Do About It"
    I have no idea what this title refers to. Am I ignorant of an endemic problem with undead-parasite-people? I want to read the book to find out.
All of these would be great band names. Even the long ones. (As of the time I voted, the last -- "People Who Don't Know..." -- was in the lead.)

No comments: